Translate

Tuesday, August 25, 2020

 

 

 

THE BEST LAID PLANS PT. 5



As if ducks, chickens, and goats weren’t enough, turkeys then came along. One sunny summer evening, a large flock of wild turkeys came strolling into the yard and, it wasn’t long before they, too, were a part of this ever-growing cast of characters. I was quite taken with them. They had a way of communicating that fascinated the inner ornithologist in me. If one would become separated from the flock, it would whistle in a certain way as if to call out and say, “Where are you? Where did you go?” Upon hearing the lone turkey’s cry, the others would whistle back as if to respond, “Over here! We’re over here, you dummy!” 

     I decided I wanted to conduct a scientific experiment and I decided one day to try and emulate that whistle. When the opportunity presented itself, I puckered up and did my best to sound like a lost turkey. My impersonation wasn’t half bad. At least, I thought so. Would the turkeys? They showed the slightest modicum of interest and I was encouraged. So, I decided to up the ante. The next time I whistled, I also threw some seed on the ground, food being the great motivator that it is. Then, I stepped aside and waited. Sure enough, after some wary eyed glances in my direction, the flock paraded up to the farmyard and began to eat. Wow! I was impressed with myself! Maybe I was a bona fide turkey whisperer. Maybe I needed my own wildlife program to host.

     The next day, I tried it again and, once again, I got a response. The turkeys weren’t quite as wary as they had been and, to reward them for humoring me, I gave them more seed. As long as I made it worth their while, they were willing to play my little game and a beautiful relationship between species had just begun that continues to this day.


 

 

 








No comments:

Post a Comment

      THE BEST LAID PLANS -PT. 1           I never planned to have a farm. Not once did I ever think, “Gee, I’d like to find out what ...